Why is it not illegal to smoke and drive?

January 4th, 2013 in Car Safety


 

I was reading an article on the BBC website today about people who smoke whilst they are driving. The article written by Michelle Roberts the health editor, explains that smoking in the car even with the windows open, creates a pollution that exceeds the official safe limits and any child sitting in the back of a car would be exposed to the unsafe pollution.
The British Medical Association says that all smoking in cars should be banned. According to research, 84% of adults don't smoke in a car where there are children present; however the remaining 16% could be regularly smoking with their children in the back of the car.
I can't understand why smoking whilst driving hasn't already been banned in the UK. A study was done where a device was strapped to the back of a seat and during 49 of 85 journeys the driver smoked up to four cigarettes. During the 49 journeys on average, the level of second-hand smoke was between one-half and one-third of that measured in UK bars before the ban on smoking in public places came into force. If it is banned in public places where people can move away from the second hand smoking if they need to, how is it not banned in a small confined space where a small child can't get away from the smoke and can't stop themselves from inhaling it?
We are half way through Stoptober and I am so proud of the people around me who have given up smoking, stopping smoking for 28 days means you are five times more likely to stay smoke free! If you haven't done Stoptober why not try it out at the beginning of November and see if you go 30 days without smoking, or at least cut out smoking in your car, especially when you are around small children or have passengers.